Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Inspiration: The J.Crew Catalog

This weekend I spent a much-needed day at the beach with my husband. While we were there, I found inspiration in lots of unlikely places – from the street style to the absent-minded shoppers. But one thing in particular struck my fancy and ironically coincided with the fashion urges I’ve felt lately: The J.Crew summer catalog that I picked up while shopping. The tale of the pants I found on sale and begged to have will no doubt go down in the history of our marriage, but let me say for now that due to unforeseen circumstances, the aforementioned pants that had been left at J.Crew last night were purchased this morning by yours truly (my half-grumpy, half-smiling husband waiting in the car as I paid!) I did pick up a catalog last night, and as I thumbed through it, I was drawn to the light fabrics, neutral palette, and print-mixing that I discovered within. Most of all, I was intrigued to see how the stylist worked her magic on the military inspired cargo pant trend that seems to still be in force this season. I picked up my first pair almost a year ago at LOFT, and have enjoyed the slim but slouchy fit and comfortable fabric. I pair them with anything. Then I got some cargo jeggings (see previous posts) and some Joe’s cargo pants. Now I have acquired a hybrid that reminds me of cargos, genie pants and trousers all rolled into one. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Canteen Pant by J.Crew.

As a side note, it is currently available online for a clearance price of $29.99, but I was able to snag them for $20 in-store. The pant comes in green, pewter, copper and white. I opted for pewter since I already have the olive green color in so many things, and pewter is a great all-season neutral for me.

Let me start by saying these pants are to-die-for comfortable. The cotton is sooo soft. J.Crew claims the style is flattering on everyone, and I totally buy it. I’m petite, but the slouchy look still gives me some shape and is slimming too! The waist is so interesting to me because it has a zipper and clasp (like trousers) and a drawstring (like track sweats), in addition to the already elastic waistband. I’m actually a fan of the combo! I’m a big believer in both drawstrings AND elastic waistbands. If it’s not comfortable why bother? Anyways, these pants go great for the beach, work (if you work where I do), the mall, or even a fun night out. Here I've assembled an ideal casual look with The Canteen Pant.


Weekend Off

The Canteen Pant, J.Crew; Oversized Striped Tee, Mossimo; Sandals, NY&C; Shades, Forever21; Necklace, handmade in Africa; Earrings, vintage; Tribal ring, Forever21.


Pairing these pants with a lightweight tee, strappy sandals, and basic jewelry or relaxed but more put-together (and I daresay comfortable!) than the old jeans plus tee shirt routine. Wear it to the grocery store, running errands, or to a weekend get-together.

What do you think of these comfortable-chic pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment