Sunday, November 7, 2010

Slow Hands

Fall is officially here. It was barely over 50 today for the high. Cold, but enjoying the nice break from the heat wave of summer! So I got the urge to go thrifting today and got 3 good finds! I bought a pair of green jeans. Yes, it was a first. For some reason I decided they worked. So I bought them, along with a cute pencil skirt and a striped hooded top. Good, good finds. What shall I do with GREEN skinny jeans, you ask? Well, here are a few things I came up with off the top of my head...

Top, LOFT; Green skinny jeans, Madewell
Why I think it works: Basic black and white striped aren't boring, but they don't make the skinny jeans overwhelming either. It's good to stick to either neutral colors mixed with only a few brights, or a basic pattern. Otherwise you run the risk of making the pants look tacky, like that weird flourescent jeans phase that took the tween world by storm a few seasons back. Yes, I had one pair. No, I did not wear them more than once.

Top, Abercrombie; Jeans, Madewell, Boots, Kmart kid's section
Why I think it works: Neutral hoodies can be boring and high school, but these jeans give it some kick. Good outfit for a lazy casual day that still looks "different".

Denim jacket, Banana Republic; Jeans, Madewell, Top, Merona, boots, Kmart; gloves, Bijuju
Why I think it works: This outfit gives off a more "tough-girl" vibe. The denim jacket breaks up the color palette of brown/green neutral but still keeps it pretty basic. It gives the outfit more of a worn-in look, but isn't too matchy-matchy. You really don't want things to look TOO perfect when wearing jeans in this color; otherwise you'll look like you bought it off a trendy mannequin.

Cardigan, Simply Vera Vera Wang; Top, Merona; Jeans, Madewell; scarf, Mom's closet
Why I think it works: This outfit is my favorite so far. The brown and green palette is spiced up with a bright rust cardigan and a rusty-yellow blend fuzzy scarf. The mix of color and texture is creative and bohemian, yet not overwhelming. The pastel color of the jeans makes them much more flattering and wearable. The babydoll top under the cardigan makes the look easy and comfortable, but still intentional. I'd wear this out and about on a Friday night, running errands, or going to class. It's versatile and unique! I love these pants - they prove that it takes someone with a little fashion sense to pull them off.

What do YOU think about green pants?

2 comments:

  1. Green pants are very cool. I have green chords which i try to make work but they look a bit weird. I had brown chords first but the ripped. Oh i miss my brown chords x hivennn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown cords are great! I have some slate grey ones, but for some reason I've never found brown ones that flatter me right...

    ReplyDelete